I just got done making my first batch of homemade jam. Mmmmmm.. I have this little problem with directions though. I either skim-read, which always means I miss something important, or I read them and forget a step or two. Well I did just that.
I read the directions a couple times to make sure I got it... but apparently my brain didn't have it all the way. So, when making jam one of the directions is to let it come to a "roaring boil" before putting it in the jars. I put it in the jars without the "roaring boil". After 3 jars, I realized that and dumped everything back into the pot and boiled it.
Then disaster hit. Upon scooping the "roaring, boiling" jam into the jars I missed by a tiny bit and had the boiling hot jam all over my finger. Yowzer. I then preceded to drop the full jar of hot jam all over the stove, which went everywhere including down the side of the stove. I ran my finger under cold water and trying not to cry for many different reasons.
Robert noticed me in distress and asked if I needed some help. I humbly accepted, yet in my head I was determined to do it by myself. He poured the rest of the jam, I screwed on the lids and now we have 3 jars of homemade triple berry jam. Robert was sweet and got me a piece of ice and wrapped it for my finger. I have a white burn mark on my left index finger that is just over a 1/4 inch long and is throbbing.
Cheers to being a happy housewife with some homemade jam.
I'm sorry that your adventure was so difficult and injury filled. But I can't wait to eat some "Tripple" Berry jam. :)
ReplyDeleteOh, and I L-O-V-E your fun background!