Monday, October 1, 2012

1/2 Olympian & the Olympians

Fianlly!! I did it!!  I complete a sprint triathlon!  This has a funny back story.  Last year, Robert and Chris did this same exact race.  Jihae, Barb and myself came to see them compete.  I enjoyed being a spectator.  Robert asked "Would you ever consider doing one of these?"  
I laughed out loud.  "No.  I will come watch all of your races but this just looks crazy.  Have fun!"

And look at that.  I competed in the race I said no way to.  I actually participated in 3 races in 2012.  I have never been on a sports team, never ran a mile (except in elementary school when they make you) never been an athlete.  So this year was quite the year for me.  My motivation- well there's 2-- "why not?" and I've been on the sidelines of life for a while.  I support Robert in all his endeavors; work, mission trips around the world, races, etc.  And with the kids, I support them being the continual feeding, bathing, coaching, playing, etc.  So why not do something for myself.  


Anywho, back to the race.  A sprint triathlon is 750 meter swim, 12.32 mile bike and 3.1 mile run.  I completed it 1:55.  
The race was at Tempe Town Lake.  The swim was actually in the lake.  That was not as gross as I thought it would be but much "scarier" when I had my eyes open in the water and all I could see is up to six inches of murky green water in every direction.  No visual of any of the other participants or even my own stroke for that matter.  I did not start well on the swim but was proud to say I finished well.  The stress of not seeing, people running into me every 10 seconds made it super difficult to get a decent rhythm of a stroke.  

I am somewhere in the crowd with a purple swim cap on.  

All lined up. 


Basically drowning... in front of my friends.... and I'm humbled from any such pride I was carrying.  Did the old back stoke to survive for a while. 


Once I was out of the water I enjoyed the bike.  Just cruising.  People passed me but I didn't care.  I enjoyed the ride.  

The run. Surprisingly my legs were not jello as I expected them to be.  I ran the majority of the 3.1 miles, only walking about 3-5 times.  No head phones were allowed on the race course so I just had my music on speaker.  The other runners enjoyed it too!  
I love seeing the finish line!! It's my favorite!

Overall it was a great race.  Jihae and the kids along with Shannon came out to watch.  Brad and Jenny were there as well showing their support for a friend of their's and me.  Thank you!  Barb & Jerry watched our monkeys.  Thank you.  And of course Robert and Chris supported me and competed in the Olympic event.


My lovely husband jumping in at the end with me.  Thanks Babe!


******
Now for Robert and Chris' story.  They decided to do a Olympic relay of the race.  The Olympic is 1500 meter swim, 26.64 mile bike and 6.2 mile run.  Robert had the swim, Chris the bike and Todd- their cousin the run.  Well the night before the race Todd got a bad stomach bug and was throwing up all night.  He came to our house at 5am and said there was no way he could run.  Understandable.  No replacement could be found.  So Robert did his portion of the race- the swim, rested while Chris rode, and then ran 6.2 miles WITH NO TRAINING!  He is quite an athlete to do that.  My congrats go to he and Chris for being Olympians of their own! 


Sorry for the lack of pictures.  Maybe I will attain more from Jihae.  

1 comment: